Definition:is used to define a new class of computing that is based on network technology. Cloud computing takes place over the internet. It comprises of a collection of integrated and networked hardware, software and internet infrastructure.
Goals • Reduced Investments and Proportional Costs
• Increased Scalability
• Increased Availability and Reliability
Types • Public Clouds
• Private Clouds
• Community Clouds
• Hybrid Clouds
Characteristics • It provides a shared pool of configurable computing resources.
• An on-demand network model is used to provide access
• The clouds are provisioned by the Service Providers.
• It provides broad network access.
Disadvantages • More elasticity means less control especially in the case of public clouds.
• Restrictions on available services may be faced, as it depends upon the cloud provider.
Definition Distributed computing comprises of multiple software components that belong to multiple computers. The system works or runs as a single system. Cloud computing can be referred to as a form that originated from distributed computing and virtualization.
Goals • Resource Sharing
Types • Distributed Computing Systems
• Distributed Information Systems
• Distributed Pervasive Systems
Characteristics • A task is distributed amongst different machines for the computation job at the same time.
• Technologies such as Remote Procedure calls and Remote Method Invocation are used to construct distributed computations.