As the world entered the era of big data, the amount of digital data is rapidly increasing across the globe, which is also changing our ways of living. Data Science is the future of Artificial Intelligence. Therefore, it is very important to understand the concepts of data science and big data.
What is Data Science?
Data science is a multidisciplinary field concentrated on seeing actionable insights from huge sets of structured and unstructured data. The field essentially fixates on unearthing responses to the things we don’t know we don’t know. Data science specialists use many separate methods to get solutions, including machine science, predictive analytics, statistics, and machine learning to parse by massive datasets to discover answers to queries that haven’t been studied of yet.
Application of Data Science
Whenever it comes to looking up something, we always think of Google. There are a lot of other search engines available like Bing, Yahoo and all of these search engines make use of data science algorithms which helps in delivering the best results which are almost closely related to our search query in just a fraction of second. If there wouldn’t have been data science, then we wouldn’t have been using Google-like today.
Now we all know that whenever we buy something on Flipkart or Amazon, we are always recommended with other similar products, which are chosen from over a billion other products and this adds to the user’s experience. A lot of companies like Amazon, Flipkart, Netflix, LinkedIn, YouTube, Twitter use this system to promote their products and suggestions which is based on the user’s interest and the relevant products they have searched. The recommendations are made based on previous search results for a user.
Fraud and Risk Detection
The very first application of data science was from Finance. A lot of companies were seen drowning in heavy debts and loses. Although they have a lot of data that was collected during their initial stages. Data Science helps in rescuing these companies from their heavy debts. Many companies, banks have learned to use data science to analyze the risk and make better decisions.
Now some of the best examples of speech recognition are Siri by Apple, Cortana, Google Voice, etc. With the help of speech recognition products and features, if you are unable to type something, you can easily speak your message which will be automatically converted to text.
What is Big Data?
Big data means huge amount of data generated through different sources.
It is like the hidden treasurer one need to understand it and have to make out the desired results by different technique. Organisation like google and other e-commerce, retail sites use big data generated on their platform to predict the user behaviour and accordingly shows us the advertisement this is just n example it has enormous application.
Big data is the data which cannot be handled by traditional RDMBS. Big data is in large volume mostly in petabytes and zetabytes and more. Also it may be in structured or unstructured format. This makes complicated to manage such data.
Application of Big Data
- Tracking Customer Spending Habit, Shopping Behavior: In big retails store (like Amazon, Walmart, Big Bazar etc.) management team has to keep data of customer’s spending habit (in which product customer spent, in which band they wish to spent, how frequently they spent), shopping behavior, customer’s most liked product (so that they can keep those products in the store). Which product is being searched/sold most, based on that data, production/collection rate of that product get fixed.
- Recommendation: By tracking customer spending habit, shopping behavior, Big retails store provide a recommendation to the customer. E-commerce site like Amazon, Walmart, Flipkart does product recommendation.
- Smart Traffic System: Data about the condition of the traffic of different road, collected through camera kept beside the road, at entry and exit point of the city, GPS device placed in the vehicle (Ola, Uber cab, etc.)
- Secure Air Traffic System: At various places of flight (like propeller etc) sensors present. These sensors capture data like the speed of flight, moisture, temperature, other environmental condition. Based on such data analysis, an environmental parameter within flight are set up and varied.
- Auto Driving Car: Big data analysis helps drive a car without human interpretation. In the various spot of car camera, a sensor placed, that gather data like the size of the surrounding car, obstacle, distance from those, etc.
- Virtual Personal Assistant Tool: Big data analysis helps virtual personal assistant tool (like Siri in Apple Device, Cortana in Windows, Google Assistant in Android) to provide the answer of the various question asked by users.
- Education Sector: Online educational course conducting organization utilize big data to search candidate, interested in that course.