India has to its credit one of the oldest civilization in the world. There are a lot of significant contributions that India has made to the world in the field of art, science, mathematics and so on. A lot of modern day inventions are based on the principals that were created in India right from the mythological age. Take a look at the amazing ancient Indian inventions that changed the world today.
1. The number system was invented in India. Aryabhatta invented Zero.
2. India established world’s first university in Takshila in 700BC. Nalanda University was established in 4th century BC.
3. Algebra, Trigonometry, Geometry and Calculus originated from India.
4. Most of the European languages are originated from Sanskrit.
5. Ayurveda, one of the oldest school of medicines was invented in India.
6. Binary number system used in computers and digital devices was invented in India.
7. The value of ‘pi’ was first discovered in India by Budhayana. He also explained the concept of what is known as the Pythagorean Theorem in the 6th century, ages before the European Mathematicians.
8. Bhaskaracharya calculated the time taken by the earth to orbit the sun in the 5th century, many years before the astronomer Smart.
9. Ancient Indian philosophers were well aware of the theory of relativity.
10. USA based IEEE has proved that wireless communication was first invented by an Indian scientist Professor Jagdish Chandra Bose.
11. Astronomy originated in India by Chanakya.
12. Sushruta is known as the father of surgery. Over 2,600 years ago, Sushruta along with his team conducted complicated surgeries like cataract, artificial limbs, cesareans, fractures, urinary stones. He even conducted brain surgeries and plastic surgery. He and his team conducted more than 3,000 surgeries with help of more than 120 surgical tools.
13. Chess also known as Chaturanga was invented in India during Gupta empire in the 6th century.
14. The game of snake and ladders was invented in India in the 13th century by saint Gyandev. The game was originally called ‘Mokshapat,’ and gone through several modifications since its invention.
15. Buddhism and Jainism originated in India.
16. Called as Indus Valley Civilization, Indians established Harappan culture as one of first civilizations of the world.
17. Yoga was invented in India.
18. Buttons were discovered in the Indus Valley Civilization almost 5000 years ago.
19. Crescograph, a device to measure growth in plants, was invented by Professor Jagdish Chandra Bose in the 20th century.
20. Board game Ludo is a modified version of an India-invented game ‘Pachisi’.
21. Ruler(scale) was invented during the reigns of Indus Valley Civilizations. Rulers were made of ivory those days.
22. India is one of the first countries to have made globes, a model of earth, called ‘Goladipika’.
23. Shampoo was invented in India during British Raj. Those days, hair dressers use to boil soap and others herbs to give shine and fragnance to hair. The word Shampoo has derived from a Hindi word ‘Champo,’ which means to press or soothe.
24. Flush Toilets were first used in the Indus Valley Civilization. The townships of Harappa and Mohenjo-Daro had flush toilet systems in all the houses connected to sewage system.
25. India was one of first countries to use Ink for writing. It is believed that many Indian scripts including epics Ramayana and Mahabharata was written using ink made of plant extracts.
There are so many ‘firsts’ that happened in India before the rest of the world got to know about them. Even today, Indian doctors, scientists, engineers and other professional not only have a high demand globally but also command a lot of respect for the contribution in their respective fields.